Thursday 11 September 2008

Rain, Favelas and Hang Gliding...

So finally I'm writing stuff on this blog! Unlike Fitz I do not wish to spend half of my entire trip sitting at a computer...I left my job for a reason!

Anyway we've been having a great time in Rio, as you've read, we've been busy with all the tourist attractions, although for the past 2 days it has been raining so have just been hanging (literally in the hammocks) about in the hostel. The hostel is very nice but dead quiet, the other night we watched Murray lose the tennis and then entertained ourselves with a game of ring of fire!

So, the interesting stuff now...the view from Sugar Loaf was absolutely stunning especially as we timed going up there at sunset so it was extra gorgeous.

I don't want to go on too much about what Fitz has already written about but we survived the football game amongst the hooligans. The football was dull but the amostsphere fantastic, I particluarly liked the fact that one of the fans came along handing out homemade flags for everyone to wave and then collected them at the end. There was lots of chanting, drumming and clapping. Oh and hotdogs which were served cold - hmm yummy!

On Sunday, being the sabath we went to see Jesus. (It actually just worked out that that was our free day to go up to Christ the Reemdeemer but it makes us sound like good Christians?!) There is a little train which takes you all the way up the mountain to see him which is just perfect. However we didn't do this...we got a cab for the same price and got to stop off at another view point on the way up - bonus! The cab was so old there weren't any seatbelts in the back but it was in good nick though.

When we reached the 'top' we paid our entrance fee ( getting the cab cost 2 quid extra but was good cos we avoided the crowds on the train) and then proceeded to walk the last little bit up to the big JC. Although it wasn't a little walk, it wasn't that near the top either, we walked all the way just this really steep roads with loads of twists and turns which you won't be suprised to hear that I wasn't muched impressed with!! And yes I did sulk, no one had bloody told me walking up mountains would be involved! It wasn't meant to be as we worked out half way up that for the price of our ticket we could have just got in one the many minibuses taking people up the last bit, but noone told us that.

Anyway it was good when we finally got up there! Mega-busy with tourists though.

Monday was a test of bravery (well it was for me) as we went of a tour of Rocinha Favela. I was scared of both the fact we were going on the tour and the fact we had to get motor-taxis up the hill into the Favela, motor taxis are motorbikes which I don't view as particularly safe. For those of you that don't know Favela in English means Shanty town or you might refer to them as slums.

It was raining on the day of our visit and so all the rain flew in my face as we sped up the hill on these bikes, my grip tightly round the driver's waist. In the end I enjoyed the motorbike ride, its how the locals get around and the tour itself was interesting and insightful. I actually felt quite safe in the Favela, we saw art work made by the locals and I bought a bracelet made by one of the kids. We stopped for refreshments in a little shop and the boys had 'Lenny Kravitz' cake - its named after him as he had it on his visit to the Favela.

We saw the gang look outs who look out for if the police are in the Favela, they have walkie talkies and fireworks in their pockets to let off to warn the gang that the police are there. We also went to the kids day care centre which was really nice and the tour helps support.

Ok this getting quite long now so I'll move onto today. Today we went hang gliding! It was amazing, I definitely reccomend doing it to anyone, all you have to do is run off a cliff. Its the closest you'll get to flying, there were spectular views of the mountains, city and beach. We had perfect wind for it apparently. Photos to follow soon - we all bought CDs of our pics.

Right best finish this now, internet is not free here! We're going to be very Brazilian tonight and go to 'Lord Jim's' which is an English pub with a quiz night.

Early start tomorrow and onwards to Ilha Grande for some more lovely beaches. Its a hard life.

Hope you are all well.

Not sure how to sign off this blog but who cares!

Lots of Love
Nicole
xxxx

Also I can't get the spell check to work - sorry!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good work teddy, almost as ranty as me in my blog! Keep up the good work.

Kudos to fitz for putting up with your walking whinges too - I know what that is like!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds sooo exciting & packing sooo much in - glad you only tell us about the dangerous bits after the event - looking forward to the next adventures, a day trip to the Islas Malvinas?, don't mention the Falklands, I mentioned it once & hope I've got away with it.