Wednesday 12 November 2008

Lions and Tigers and Bears...

(Started writing this in Mendoza, Argentina finished and typed up in New Zealand.)

Patagonia has definitely spoilt us for wildlife and spectacular landscapes so New Zealand has a hard act to follow (it's doing pretty well so far!).

Whale watching was amazing and it was brilliant at Punta Tomba where we were surrounded by thousands of penguins without a chocolate bar in sight.

All of that seems ages ago now as we have since been to 'The End of the World' (Ushuaia at the tip of South America) and back through Argentina and criss-crossed into Chile.

The climate as well as the landscape has been pretty varied and I am pleased to say that I am currently 'de-layered' and am wearing shorts, a vest top and flip-flops whilst sitting in the sunshine. It's a good job I brought so many clothes with me as layering up is the best way to keep warm; especially when you have few - if any winter clothes with you!

If there was a toy doll called 'Nicole Doll' then over the past few weeks you would definitely would have been able to buy 'Outdoors Nicole' (rather than the usual 'Party Nicole') only she would not come as well equipped as 'Outdoors Barbie' who comes with walking boots!

We can now lay claim to seeing the 7th most beautiful view in the world as we went to the top of 'Cerro Campanario' in Bariloche.



Bariloche is in Argentina's lake district and has stunning scenery of lush forests, mountains and lakes obviously.



From Bariloche we caught another bus and this time we crossed over into Chile for more than just a few hours. Our first stop was Pucon, where we hung around for days and days waiting for the weather to be good enough to climb the volcano 'Volcan Villarica'. To fill this time we hung around (literally in a hammock chair) the wooden house we were staying in, complete with wooden stove fires for heating and hostel dog Negra.

The start of our time in Chile was indeed chilly and therefore the natural hot springs 'Termas Los Pozones' were very welcome indeed! And barginous at 3 quid 50 each when we had them more or less all to ourselves.



Ohhhh it was just like stepping into a hot bath....well a massive hot bath outside with rocks rounds the edge and sand underfoot and a river running by....

We eventually did our long awaited volcano climb, yes although I had been undecided I did it too but definitely won't be doing one again, even if I do look really cool in all my climbing gear.



We had all the proper gear provided, crampons, the full works! The climb was all on snow and it was tough I tell ya! Actually I think it could be described as 'character building'. After all that hard work we didn't make it even high enough to see the summit but I didn't care cos it was time for the best bit...sliding down on the snow on your bum! Or as we call it 'Bum Skiing'



I hear there was snow in the UK in October, if you get some more I can really see this new sport taking off, I plan to launch it on the big hill in Mill Hill park, no need for the orange sledge now.

After the volcano climb ordeal I can firmly say that I am far more suited to sipping cocktails in the sunshine as we did in the port city of Valapariso up on the hillside at Hotel Brighton.



It was 2-4-1 Happy Hour so it was definitely in the budget.



And it fell under part of the cultural experience as we drank Pisco Sours which are made with the Chilean spirit Pisco, lemon and icing sugar. A very nice sherbet if you ask me!

Further alcohol consumption was required (it's a hard life) when we went back through the Andes to the Argentine wine region of Mendoza. Once we had gathered enough change for the bus, which is a complete challenge as no one wants to give you change in Argentina and you can't get on the bus without it as there is a machine which only takes coins! We visited a winery and had an interesting and informative tour (and more importantly free) with a glass of vinto tino to taste at the end. Very nice but unfortunately not in the budget for us to buy.

A trip to Mendoza zoo for 1 pound 80 was cheap as chips. Though quite upsetting and sometime scary as well quite good all at the same time. I am complete contradicting myself but before I go on to tell you a bit about the zoo I must say they have a huge variety of animals (lions, tigers, bears, seals, horses, goats, armadillos,monkeys, birds) which I suppose is good for the public there as they wouldn't get to see them otherwise. Also I got to see my 1st polar bear which was cool.



I won't go into too much detail but a lot of the animals' enclosures were too small for them, especially the tigers, who were beautiful but sadly paced their cages.

The zoo is based on a hill so you walk up it and it snakes back round with all the enclosures. The baboon enclosure was on the hillside and packed with baboons of all sizes and they made such a noise! Some of them were having fights and chasing after each other and basically there were too many of them in there. This little one had escaped (!!) and went to pick up an empty coke bottle but dropped it and then couldn't work out to get back in. And then the Argentine people were feeding the baboons through the fence! Needless to say there weren't many people working there, I didn't see any zoo keeps as sorts, apart from 3 blokes walking around in uniforms who seemed more like maintenance men really. It was sad and weird, I said that I would write to the WWF about it but I'm yet to do that. I'll put it down as an experience...

Our last stop in South America was Santiago where we stayed at a cool hostel called 'La Casa Roja' and had a good BBQ and Halloween party. This Irish dude looked just like The Joker,scary stuff, he had the hair for it.

Went up a few big hills and got some great views of the city.



Its huge! Its pretty impressive how the city is surrounded by mountains. But Santiago is not my favourite capital city in the world.

Now in New Zealand with more things to write about but not enough time for that now. It's good though and was refreshing when we arrived to be able to read everything as it's not all in Spanish. Met up with Dave in Auckland on our first night, hardly recognised him, which was fun. Have hired a car and are on the road.

Gotta go, come on you Gunners!

Nic x

2 comments:

Alan Jewels said...

I knew you would mention the Zoo conditions the second I saw your picture of the Polar Bears. So cruel.

Sounds fun though, some of those views are ace.

Joyce said...

You seem to be having the time of your life.Very jealous.
Hope you are enjoying NZ. The landscape reminded me of the Highlands of Scotland when I was there.
Grandad is coming up to Troon for a few days at the beginning of Dec so will show him your blogs.
Take care
Joyce